Hello fellow non meat-eaters!
I hope that this autumn season is finding you feeling well and enjoying the crisp weather! I know that the back-and-forth temps in New England are driving me crazy; it’s November, for goodness’ sake – it should be consistently cold and snowing in Massachusetts! I’m dying for some chilly weather and snow!
Anyway, one thing that this season brings is my absolute favorite holiday: Thanksgiving! It’s a great time of year to just sit back and reflect on your life and what you’re really thankful for as the year draws to a close. For me, this will be my first official family holiday gathering as a vegan. I’ve been a vegetarian for the past two and a half years, and that was one thing, but being a vegan and eating with my extended family is a whole other hill to climb.
I come from a family who makes mashed potatoes with butter and milk, who cooks bacon in their potato filling, and just loved butter in general. Unfortunately for me, I do not live in a vegan-friendly family. That’s not to say that they’re not supportive of my lifestyle, they just don’t have the desire to eat that way in the slightest.
So, this year, because I will be able to eat very little of what’s on the planned menu, I decided to cook a few dishes on my own so I’m not stuck eating beforehand or only eating veggies! The recipes I’ve included here are not necessarily ones that I’m actually going to make, but they are the ones that sounded like they would be the most delicious! Plus, my sister is going to help me cook them, and she is an amazing chef and baker!
My ideal Thanksgiving menu would be:
- Main course: Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili
- Stuffing alternate: Old-Fashioned Potato Bread Stuffing
- Side dish: Spicy Chickpea Salad
- Dessert: Chocolate Pumpkin Pie
What do you guys think of these recipes? What recipes are you thinking of trying out this Thanksgiving? Let me know in the comments below!
- Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili: http://www.vegkitchen.com/recipes/bountiful-beans/bean-stews/quick-black-bean-and-sweet-potato-chili/
- Old-Fashioned Potato-Bread Stuffing: http://www.vegkitchen.com/recipes/old-fashioned-potato-bread-stuffing/
- Spicy Chickpea Salad: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/spicy-chickpea-salad
- Chocolate Pumpkin Pie: http://www.vegkitchen.com/recipes/special-occasions-and-entertaining/vegetarian-thanksgiving/chocolate-pumpkin-pie/
- Websites for more vegan Thanksgiving recipes: http://plantpoweredkitchen.com/healthy-vegan-thanksgiving-recipes/; http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/41-delicious-vegan-thanksgiving-recipes; http://www.pinterest.com/susan_v/vegan-thanksgiving-recipes/; http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2012/11/vegan-thanksgiving-recipes-2012.html; http://www.vegkitchen.com/tips/vegetarian-thanksgiving/